8 WEEKS BEFORE
- Remove unnecessary items from your attic, basement, storage shed, etc.
- Use things you don’t want to move, such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- Secure a floor plan of your new residence and determine furniture placement.
- Start a possessions inventory.
- Solicit estimates from three moving companies.
- Call your homeowners insurance agent to find out to what degree your move is covered.
- Create a file for documenting all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records.
6 WEEKS BEFORE
- Contact the IRS and/or your CPA for tax-deductible information.
- Evaluate your possessions inventory. Can you donate anything? Do you need it all?
- Notify your friends, relatives, professionals, creditors, subscriptions, etc.
- Begin the off-site storage process (if applicable).
- Locate high-quality healthcare professionals and hospitals in your new location.
- Complete a change of address via post office cards or an online service for the following:
- Charge cards
- Religious organizations
- Relatives and friends
- Income Tax Bureau/Social Security Administration/Union
- Insurance broker/lawyer/CPA/stockbroker
- Post Office
- Clean your closets.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
- Choose a mover.
- Contact your mover to make arrangements and inquire about insurance coverage.
- If relocating due to a job, contact your employer to see what costs, if any, they will cover.
4 WEEKS BEFORE
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair/cleaning as needed.
- Gather auto licensing and registration documents, medical, dental and school records, wills, deeds, stock, and other financial documentation, etc.
- Contact gas, electric, oil, water, telephone, cable TV, and trash collection companies for service disconnection/connection at your old and new addresses. Also ask for final readings.
- Request refunds on unused homeowner’s insurance, security deposit with landlord, and prepaid cable service.
- Notify your gardener, snow removal service, and pool service (if applicable).
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s, medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
3 WEEKS BEFORE
- Make your travel plans
- Arrange to close current bank accounts and open new accounts in locale (if necessary).
- Notify your state’s motor vehicle bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for childcare on moving day.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Arrange special transport for your pets and plants.
- Service your car for the trip.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.